Recommended links and other resources
- Aranea Web Corpora
- Russia Matters
- Threat Defuser Team CrowdTangle Site
- The Grey Zone: A research group at UiT The Arctic University of Norway that focuses on multiple challenges around understanding and addressing "grey zone" or hybrid threats and warfare
- The Russia Conference 2017 - Competing realities. NUPI.
- Wikipedia Conspiracist media: A list of conspiracist media sources
- Rational Wiki: Analysis of pseudoscience, crank ideas, authoritariansim and fundamentalism as represented in the media.
- Media Bias Fact Check: rating of the credibility and political balance of media sources
- European Digital Media Observatory
- Tackling COVID-19 disinformation - Getting the facts right: a communication from the European Commission
- Digital Services Act proposed by European Commission
- European Democracy Action Plan proposed by European Commission
- Presentasjon av den nye samfunnssikkerhetsmeldingen og langtidsplanen for Forsvaret
- The Russia File Podcast, from the Wilson Center. The podcast explores Russia: its history, politics, culture and society, and its relations with the surrounding countries, the United States and beyond, hosted by Maxim Trudolyubov and Izabella Tabarovsky.
- The Spread of Misinformation Online, interview with Neil F. Johnson
- KennanX Episode 10: "'You Can't Say That!' - Political Correctness, Russian-style
- The Sunday Read: ‘The Agency’, a New York Times “The Daily” podcast about the Russian Internet Research Agency.
- How to understand and deal with Russian strategic communication measures?, by Østevik, Malin; Godzimirski, Jakub M. 2018.
- Going Beyond “Aboutness”: A Quantitative Analysis of Sputnik Czech Republic, by Masako Fidler and Václav Cvrček. 2018.
- corporaexplorer: An R package for dynamic exploration of text collections, by Kristian Lundby Gjerde. 2019.
- Word Embedding Based on Large-Scale Web Corpora as a PowerfuL Lexicographic Tool, by Radovan Garabik. 2019.
- Наступление в войне идей. “An Offensive in a War of Ideas”, by Sergei Karaganov, Honorary Chairman of the Presidium of the Council on Foreign and Defense Policy. This article gives an overview of Russia's sense of its position in the world.
- It takes a village to manipulate the media. Giglietto, Fabio Nicola Righetti,Luca Rossi & Giada Marino. 2020. It takes a village to manipulate the media: coordinated link sharing behavior during 2018 and 2019 Italian elections. Information, Communication & Society 23(6), 867–891.
- Påvirkningsoperasjoner i sosiale medier – oversikt og utfordringer. Bergh, Arild. 2020. Påvirkningsoperasjoner i sosiale medier – oversikt og utfordringer / Influence operations in social media – summary and challenges. Forsvarets forskningsinstitutt, rapport 20/01694.
- Spiraling toward a New Cold War in the North? The Effect of Mutual and Multifaceted Securitization. Wilhelmsen, Julie (2020) Spiraling toward a New Cold War in the North? The Effect of Mutual and Multifaceted Securitization. Journal of Global Security Studies, 0(0), 2020, 1–19.
- Norway and Russia in the Arctic: New Cold War Contamination?. JulieWilhelmsen & Kristian Lundby Gjerde.“Norway and Russia in the Arctic: New ColdWar Contamination?” Arctic Review on Law and Politics, Vol. 9, 2018, pp. 382–407.
- FROM ENGLISH INTO RUSSIAN INTO CZECH: RE-TRANSLATION AS A MANIPULATIVE TOOL
- Levada Center poll: Who Do Russians Consider Their Biggest Enemies?
- Pandemic Politics in Eurasia: Roadmap for a New Research Subfield Full citation: Marlene Laruelle, Mikhail Alexseev, Cynthia Buckley, Ralph S. Clem, J. Paul Goode, Ivan Gomza, Henry E. Hale, Erik Herron, Andrey Makarychev, Madeline McCann, Mariya Omelicheva, Gulnaz Sharafutdinova, Regina Smyth, Sarah Wilson Sokhey, Mikhail Troitskiy, Joshua A. Tucker, Judyth Twigg & Elizabeth Wishnick (2020) Pandemic Politics in Eurasia: Roadmap for a New Research Subfield, Problems of Post-Communism, https://doi.org/10.1080/10758216.2020.1812404
- The online competition between pro- and anti-vaccination views Full citation: Johnson, N.F., Velásquez, N., Restrepo, N.J. et al. The online competition between pro- and anti-vaccination views. Nature 582, 230–233 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-020-2281-1
- Slipping Racism into the Mainstream: A Theory of Information Laundering Full citation: Klein, Adam. 2012. Slipping Racism into the Mainstream: A Theory of Information Laundering. Communication Theory 22 (2012) 427–448.
Russian Social Media Influence. This is a 2018 study by RAND, including some linguistic analysis.
The Palgrave Handbook of Digital Russia Studies. This open-access anthology presents a multidisciplinary and multifaceted perspective on how the ‘digital’ is simultaneously changing Russia and the research methods scholars use to study Russia.
The following books have been acquired as ebooks by UiT’s UB and some are also available through booksellers and audible.com
- Butter, Michael and Peter Knight, eds. 2020. Routledge Handbook of Conspiracy Theories.
- Bergmann, Eirikur. 2018. Conspiracy & Populism: The Politics of Misinformation. Springer International Publishing AG.
- Aral, Sinan. 2020. The Hype Machine: HOW SOCIAL MEDIA DISRUPTS OUR ELECTIONS, OUR ECONOMY, AND OUR HEALTH–AND HOW WE MUST ADAPT. Penguin Random House.
- Sanger, David E. 2019. The Perfect Weapon: War, Sabotage, and Fear in the Cyber Age. Penguin Random House.
- Lepore, Jill. 2020. If Then: How the Simulmatics Corporation Invented the Future. Liveright.
- Rid, Thomas. 2020. Active measures: The secret history of disinformation and political warfare. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- Howard, Philip N. 2020. Lie Machines: How to Save Democracy from Troll Armies, Deceitful Robots, Junk News Operations, and Political Operatives. Yale University Press.
- Stengel, Richard. 2019. Information Wars: How We Lost the Global Battle Against Disinformation and What We Can Do About It. Grove Atlantic.
- Wylie, Christopher. 2019. Mindf'ck: Cambridge Analytica and the plot to break America. New York: Random House.
- Jankowicz, Nina. 2020. How to Lose the Information War: Russia, Fake News, and the Future of Conflict. I. B. Tauris & Company, Limited.
How-to documents for the THREAT-DEFUSER team
- This is experimental and under development: media search